Funpaid work

Castle in Wales -- which castle is it? Postcard to the first to
name it. Mostly because I can't remember and I really want
to know the answer.
I have this problem: I cannot stop creating, collaborating and working. I love my job. Since I lost all my gigs on March 7, I've somehow still been working full time. Part of my job is making sure that y'all don't forget me, so there's this blog, of course. Also ...

My identity is wrapped up in having been a full-time independent professional musician since 2002 -- without outside help. I hold too much pride in that I financed my own instruments with bank loans, not angel investors. It's not other people's fault that they came with trust funds or angel investors. I was just never in the right place at the right time. There was I time I could have signed to my dream label, but I left the old man's apartment in Nashville (without harm and also without a record deal) because I suddenly realized why he'd brought me there. A story for the memoir I'll write someday, perhaps.

Anyway, my point is that, while I staunchly believe musicians should be paid for their work and should refuse to work with crap people who don't pay, I also recognize that sometimes artists just NEED TO CREATE! COVID has changed the unpaid stuff into #funpaid. So I'm eating my words and not getting paid. COVID changes everything :)

Here's just a snapshot of the #funpaid things I've done during my "time off." Asterisks denote that I received a small honorarium:

This week I've got an op-ed coming out in LEO Weekly and I'm going to do a Pop-Up LIVESTREAM on my Facebook Page whenever I can find some quiet time away from the tiny creatures who need me so :) 


3 comments

  1. I’m tossing up between Chepstow and Caerphilly castles.
    Will go for Caerphilly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caerphilly!!!! I have been there. That must be it. I've never been to Chepstow. WAYNE FOR THE WIN!!!! I just mailed you a postcard last week though (i'm sure it will take forever to arrive), so now i'm gonna find something extra to post : )!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh nice. Will be curious how long it takes. Friends have received things within a couple of weeks, others has been months and still waiting.
      Dont stress posting anything extra.
      Instead, treat yourself and your kids to an ice cream or somehting yummy once lockdown is over.

      Delete