Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Book-it!

Back in 1985, Pizza Hut started a program called Book-It!™ In retrospect, surely they could have come up with a much better, or at least more clever, name for it. Of course, we all still remember it, so I guess the name served its purpose.

The point of Book-It!™ was to encourage children to read. A reading goal was set, and for every book or set of books we read, we received a little star. That star was then affixed to a purple pin. When all the stars made it to the pin, we wore that little pin to Pizza Hut and received a free personal pan pizza. Always the over-achiever, first grade was a year of lots of personal pan pizzas.

My friends and I were reminiscing about the days where we were rewarded (with food, not just a warm-fuzzy feeling) for our reading, and we decided to start an adult Book-It!™ program, with the rewards being beer or whisky.

Obviously we need rules, so the cheaters amongst us don't just read a bunch of Dr. Seuss books in anticipation of their Hi-Life. Should it be based on word count? number of pages? Maybe we get a star for every 200-pages read? Do audiobooks count? I mean, I can't read while I'm in the tour van because I throw up. And apparently police officers consider it "wreckless driving" to prop a book on the steering wheel.

Who's in for the Adult Book-it!™ series? And can someone out there please make adult Book-It!™ pins so we have someplace to store out little gold stars?

No comments:

Post a Comment

UK Tour dates... almost ready to announce...

I'm currently trying to fill in dates on this United Kingdom tour that I've booked for February. Some of the dates have been really ...