Film premieres, Book launches, Catching up

As I write this from my front porch, sienna leave are floating down to my laptop keys just as I'm trying to soak up the last rays of summer. It's been quite a year.

The last time I wrote, it was about a United Kingdom tour I was doing in January and February. The tour was magical, as always, and it flew by. The shows were magical, all of them house concerts or folk clubs. Those types of shows are my favorites. Intimate. Quiet. Eye contact. Gratitude all round -- me being grateful for an open-minded crowd there to linger onto every lyric; the audience being grateful to professional musicians who went out of their way to play their town/village/hamlet. Those shows remind me of what I love about folk music: human connection. 

In April, my newly-minted-8-year-old whisked us away to an all-expenses paid trip to a swanky film premiere. He had to work -- the work being an hour on the red carpet talking to 15-20 media outlets, sitting front and center while his movie premiered, shaking hands with fans after, and staying at a rooftop after-party until midnight re-connecting with castmates and their families. I tend to smile a lot anyway, but that night was something for the memory books for sure. Wee Angus was so happy to see his film friends, and 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BK9Yc_bZeE8?si=F79ise8DqqjnJipI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My spring was focused on final details with my publisher for ... THE BOOK I WROTE.

How do I have this blog here, and I have failed to tell you that I wrote and published my first book??

I have kept it off of Amazon, at least until I recoup the advance and break even. But it's a local bestseller, and I'm honestly shocked how many people have actually read it. I designed it with the intent to make a coffee table book -- one that people can flip through for photos, memories, and fun facts. I even wrote a little summary in the beginning of each chapter so people could skim it. But people have actually been reading! I was prepared for the comment section, which has existed, but hasn't been nearly as horrible as I thought. 

It's a niche market: the book is a history of Lakeside Swim Club, a quirky and mysterious neighborhood swimming pool in the Highlands of Louisville, Kentucky. Its history is fascinating, and I wanted to document it for the future. The history also shows the bigger picture of what kind of magic we can create when we think bigger -- when we think community -- rather than individualism.

You can buy it online here: brigidkaelin.com/author. It's also available at Carmichael's

Now that my big writing project is over, I'm thinking I need to get back to blogging. I love the practice and the outlet. I had been over being silly on Tiktok and stuff, but I think I prefer words.

Consider this dipping my toes back in and testing the waters...

As always, ways to support: 

0 comments