"Good enough for 2020" and other pre-dawn ramblings


My mom snuggling me! 
This is my baby brother, George. (He died in 2017.)

Hiiiii. So if you are a patron, you already read the juicy details about my surgery, but I figured I'd updated the masses here. (Just kidding; you aren't "the masses." Become a Patron! That's just a throwback to my high school history teacher who threw around those terms casually and ironically so he could point out injustices to our bubbled classroom experiences. And these are the things I think about at 2:30am during a pandemic that is only getting worse where I am.) I'm on the mend. I still have a shoulder sling and my arm still hurts like hell, and I still can't play the guitar or accordion but i can play left-handed piano and sleep sometimes. No saw for a while though. I am thankful to be ambidextrous, and I've actually been doing some pretty cool left-handed drawings on the iPad. I'll share a coloring page I created for you sometime...  

Now for the rest of my pre-dawn ramblings!

European friends: I am not legally allowed to come to you! And I don't blame you one bit for keeping us out. What the HELL has happened to America? My theory is that all the emigrants were the annoying ADHD/YouAren'tTheBossOfMe Europeans from years ago, so you got yourselves rid of the nutters and they all started families in America, yielding a country full of people who refuse to operate as a community. You were wise to kick them all out. Please, might you let me and my family back in? I don't like authority, but I swear I'll stay home and wear a mask and pay taxes and stuff.

UK friends: Oddly, thanks to Brexit (which is a 99% terrible thing), I COULD sneak away and come quarantine with you. Europe isn't allowing Americans in the country, but as of this publication, Britain is... (hence the 1% thing that is okay about Brexity).

But of course we are going nowhere because I wouldn't dare bring my dirty American germs to you. Nor would I consider getting on a plane.

2020.

I saw a meme or something last week that talked about "Good enough for 2020," and I feel like that needs to be a WHOLE new thing for EVERYONE. Whatever book you are writing. Whatever song you are mixing. Whatever painting you are creating. Whatever bedtime routine you are [not] following. It is good enough for 2020. 


I grew up a perfectionist. I got an A- in an NYU philosophy course, and I was devastated. To be fair, I was hit by a car halfway through the semester, and I only actually attended about 60% of that philosophy course.

But guess what, y'all, none of that matters!! Parents, quit being hard on yourselves because your kids have a lot of screentime now. A lot of that screentime is plenty educational. Non-parents, quit fussing at parents for complaining. Parents, quit fussing at non-parents for "not understanding." Let's all try to be a little more empathetic.

Remember that guy who's parked across three parking spaces might actually be hauling his parents ashes across town or something. We're all having bad days.

Let's be kind.

Let's be understanding.

Mostly, I'm talking about how we treat ourselves because maybe then that'll translate to other people. If we ever see other people again.

And this is my blog at 3am on a Saturday morning from the bathroom while the rest of the family snuggles and snoozes. 

I've got some REALLY exciting content to release this month. One is an orchestral arrangement I did of a popular song, but all 25+ parts are played on the musical saw. (I've decided to embrace my love of arranging!) The other is the final mix of "18 Months Later," a song about sitting around with your life on pause because there is something horrible going on that you know will end but you can't really make plans until you know the outcome. Familiar feeling, eh?

I think I'll also finally take the time to edit and publish the travel diaries from various trips I've taken, but I was trying to live in the moment, ergo did not blog them. I snapped photos and took notes, though, so i've got tips and tales for you. Stay tuned. This blog is BACK, friends!



0 comments