New band merch: re-usable straws!

Confession: I don't own a CD player.

That said, I still buy CDs at live shows. I always support bands' PledgeMusic or Kickstarter campaigns, etc, but when that CD arrives, it goes into a box of mostly unopened CDs. I'm semi-ashamed of this, but not really. I mean, it's 2018. I'm all for technology and advancements and a wider ability to share art. I totally understand that some people are nostalgic for liner notes and jewel cases, but there are lots of things people are nostalgic for that society has moved away from. Change is -- overall -- good. (Seedless watermelons, however, are bad.)

BUT in light of 2018, etc, musicians have turned to the merch table as income generators for those who don't have Hollywood connections to music supervisors.

Here's an idea I'd been toying around with for months, but didn't try out until last night:

Band Straws

Metal straws with the band name laser engraved on them! It's a great and inexpensive souvenir that provides extra dollars for the artist -- and constant advertising in an environmentally friendly way that doesn't take up closet space. I think every band should have them at the merch table, and every music fan starts a straw collection. You'll forever have a reminder of the great band show you saw, and you'll establish a nice collection of straws that are USEFUL and great conversation starters and good for the world too! I'm full of great ideas, and if I wanted to make a quick million, I'd start a company specifically set up to engrave band logos on metal straws. But, honestly, I can't spend my time doing that because I have songs to write and people to entertain. Someone else, feel free to start that company. I'll be out traveling the world trying to make people smile. 
Stainless steel reusable straws have been all the rage ever since that sea turtle video  appeared a couple of years ago. I admit that video did me in, and I immediately purchased silicon and stainless steel straws for the entire family -- both for our homes and our swim bags and purses. (I know, I know, we could just not use a straw, but I'm a clumsy drinker who always spills. Sometimes my teeth are sensitive, and a straw is really useful. Also, ever since I had Bells Palsy with my first pregnancy and lived with half my face paralyzed for a few weeks, I've just needed to use a straw.)

I did a short-run print of laser-engraved straws to see if they would sell at shows, and guess what ... more than half of the attendees at last night's sold-out show purchased a straw! Time for me to order more...

Mine are $5/each. Like I said -- it's a cheap and fantastic souvenir and a quick way to support a local artist. I haven't seen anyone else doing it yet on the google, but I sure do hope it catches on. Because I don't like drinking out of a straw with my name on it (sort of like wearing your own band t-shirt). It feels like I'm at camp and my mom had to write my name on everything. But I'd love for you to drink out of a Brigid Kaelin straw the next time you're at a live show!

Next public shows:
Einsiedeln, Switzerland: August 3, Musik Festival
Louisville, KY: August 23, Wick's on Baxter


Here's a photo I just adore of some one who purchased Brigid Kaelin straws for her grandkids at last night's show:

0 comments