My high school journal.

Current mood: moody
Category: School, College, Greek

The InKY Reading Series is throwing a party on Saturday night in Louisville, and I agreed to make an appearance. I'm not going to be singing or playing. The theme is "High School Journal" and the organizers asked a few local writers to read from, yes, their high school journals. Why did I agree to do this?

First, I tore my old bedroom apart looking for any shred of writing. I found thousands of reading notes on Faulkner and Fitzgerald and every note I took in college. I found boxes of photographs and perfect attendance awards certificates. But I couldn't find my journals.

To be honest, I never really kept a journal. I wrote some bizarre combination of partly-truth and party-fiction (Cue: Kris Kristofferson), thinking that I would eventually write a novel. Of course, I had absolutely nothing of import to say, and I was strangely aware of that at the time. Every fifth sentence is something like: "Wow, I can't believe how insignificant my problems are." It's horribly painful to read. I haven't decided which entries I'll be sharing with the audience on Saturday.

In honor of High School, I thought I'd fill out one of those silly MySpace surveys that high schoolers do:

1. What are you wearing? A t-shirt and a hoodie and jeans, and plastic target bags around my cowboy boots. It's been my outfit for the past week.
2. What did you do last night? Cooked Thai food at my current shelter and went to Highland Coffee to write a blog. Played my ol' Gibson Archtop on the couch.
4. Last gift recieved? A wooden spoon. It's like a tiny little present.
(for the record, the myspace survey mispelled "received," not me)
5. Describe the last picture you were in? Someone at Highland Coffee this morning took a photo of my feet wearing my Target bags.
6. Last thing you ate? Leftover Thai food.
7. Last thing you drank? Water.
8. What kind of underwear are you wearing? Red.
9. What was your best vacation? I don't really take vacations. I tour a lot though, and my favorite one was the UK tour with Peter this fall. Second-favorite was Scotland with Lyzz when I was in college.
10. What are you most looking foward to in the next vacation? Texas Stonehenge just outside of Kerrville.
11. What is happening around you? Other people without power are on their laptops, just as I am.
12. What is your shoe size? 6.5, extra wide.
13. Last event you dressed up for? New Year's Eve.
14. Biggest pet peeve? When people get in the left lane and are secretly planning to turn left, but don't put on their turn signal until after the light changes to green. And when concerts don't start on time.
15. What is the most expensive thing you have on right now? My cowboy boots. Although, the Target bags might have cost more when you add up all that money you somehow end up spending when you go to Target.
16. What is your favorite smell? Garlic and onions sauteeing in the house. And Oriental lilies. But not together.
17. Is there something you really want to buy right now? The Roland midi accordion.
19. What are you nicknames? My parents call me "Red." (imaginative) Peter calls me "BK." Most people just say "hey."
20. Funniest thing said today? Today has not been funny. My car's stuck in the ice and my back hurts. I am not laughing.
21. What are your plans for today? Taking the bus back to my place to see if the power's on.
22. Describe your myspace picture. I'm holding a saw and violin bow quite majestically, if i do say so myself.
23. What did you do this weekend? Lived like a vagabond, flitted and fleeted around the city, wrote songs, hung out with some great friends. I had a lot of fun, considering I've been without power for a week now.
24. Favorite brand of clothes? I'm not a shopper. I'm a thrift-store girl.
25. What is your ringtone? the classic Old-Phone Ring that everyone with an iPhone has. And for a few select people, it's "Dream Weaver."


Info on the High School Journal Party, from InKY's website:
Featuring performances by adventurer and university administrator Tori Murden McClure, WFPK's Laura Shine, novelist Brian Leung, musician Brigid Kaelin, writer Crystal Wilkinson, The Courier-Journal lifestyles editor David Daley, music journalists Peter Berkowitz and Jeffrey Lee Puckett, with music courtesy of the Bourbon Brothers (Charles Spivey and WFPK'sMichael Youngof Roots n' Boots). Plus free food and drinks.
Tickets are a $30 tax-deductible donation to InKY (or 2 for $50)
Saturday, February 7, 2009
The Green Building
732 East Market Street
Louisville, Kentucky
7:30PM

Read more: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=19356498&blogId=468335888#ixzz0tavldg7P

0 comments