Monday, February 9, 2015

What a musician needs to tour in the UK. + Louisville & Edinburgh shows.

In general, I am a rule-follower. Like, I pay my taxes. I even pay sales tax on CDs and downloads. I think I've met, like, one other musician in my entire life who has a sales tax ID number.

Anyway, I've got another no-good-deed-goes-unpunished situation right now.

Today I'm paying once again for my law-abiding-status, and I do mean paying for it. I finally nailed down my certificate of sponsorship for my upcoming UK tour, but it cost me almost as much as my plane ticket. I'm not one to lie to immigration, however, especially in a country where I hope to live again someday. I don't want to risk getting banned from entry. But UGH!! That work visa just guarantees that there is no way I will make money on this tour.

It very much annoys me all these people who just fly through immigration under the radar and come back with riches. Grrrrrr.

Anyway, I'm very happy that it was approved. I'm thankful for many things in my life, but I do wish my career was a bit more profitable. On that note, tip jar, anyone?
Click to tip!

Artists who intend on touring in the UK, you need a Certificate of Sponsorship from a UK company. This is an involved process. But don't even think about trying to roll through immigration with a guitar on your back and telling them you're "on holiday." Do it right, people.

Now for a few items of business:

Louisville, I'm playing at Clifton's Pizza tomorrow evening (Tuesday) from 8-10. It's an in-the-round with Peter Searcy and Danny Flanigan. ITRs are laid-back evenings where you hear stripped-down versions of songs and sometimes you hear brand new material. I know Peter's been writing a lot, and I have lots of unrecorded tunes to share too.

Friends in Edinburgh, RSVP to this ... there is a piano in this flat, and I will play anything you want if you promise to attend. Either email me that you can come, or pop over to the FB event.

No comments:

Post a Comment