Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Homemade microwave popcorn! And a warning.

A few years ago, I had a smack-your-forehead moment when a friend told me about making homemade microwave popcorn (Read that blog here). I can't stand store-bought microwave popcorn because it has a chemical aftertaste*, but I rarely want to hover over the stove and cook my own, nor do I enjoy cleaning out those fancy popcorn makers. For years now I've just been tossing a few kernels in a paper bag and hitting the "popcorn" button.

Sometime this winter, when I was frantically searching for a paper bag to no avail, I had another smack-your-forehead moment and realized I could just use a glass bowl and eliminate ALL waste.

Pyrex bowls are microwavable, right?

Look what happened!

FYI, the lid was not sealed, just resting on top, with a slight gap for air.



 I did a bunch of googling to see if this was a thing that happens with Pyrex, but no. Pyrex is supposedly microwaveable -- it even said so on the box. Any engineer friends out there want to comment on that? I did have some butter in with the popcorn, so all I can guess is that it has something to do with the liquid butter. I don't know, but it was scary. So, yeah, I'm going back to paper bags, if I can ever remember to buy some.


* A friend & food writer pointed out on my last popcorn-related blog that most microwave popcorn actually contains a poison that is banned in Europe. So gross!

7 comments:

  1. The only thing I know about Pyrex is that it used to be made of Borocilicate glass and now it's made of soda-lime glass, which has raised a massive internet furor to which you are now an unwitting part: http://stats.org/stories/2009/exploding_pyrex_oct14_09.html

    But mine has never exploded in the microwave, so who knows. Glad it didn't destroy the neighborhood. Hope the popcorn turned out OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David told me I couldn't eat it for fear of eating glass. It smelled sooooo good though!

      Delete
    2. I ate pesto once after I dropped the glass container. I later emailed Gabe and a friend to find out if the crunchiness in my pesto would kill me.

      Delete
  2. I'm guessing temperature differential due to steam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes sense. But come on, pyrex!!

      Delete
  3. Perhaps air pressure if the lid was sealed. I can't tell, but never cook anything in the microwave with a sealed lid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, the lid was not sealed -- just resting on there with a little crack left open even.
      Consensus seems to be that it was the butter I put in the bowl. Something about the heat and liquid and different temperatures? Either way: scary!

      Delete

Blogging from the chemo lab.

Gooooood Monday morning, y'all! I'm writing from the Norton Cancer Institute where, for the first time in months, I'm able to ac...