Friday, June 15, 2012

A potential fault in my mate. Or, New Wave Grammar.

"Your mate's an old-fashioned man, sweetheart." It's sort of true. But considering he minored in Feminist Studies in undergrad, I also don't really believe him. Sure, I have stood stupidly in front of doors while walking with friends before realizing that I've grown used to David always opening the door for me. And I haven't carried a heavy bag in years (unless I was making a point).

Occasionally, however, I have to disagree with his old-fashioned ways.

I'm the editor of the family. You wouldn't know it from my blogs (sorry, but it's a blog, not a column), but I'm a fierce follower of Strunk & White. I also like to keep up with new rules on grammar and punctuation. I love that stuff. Sometimes I eschew changes (like the fact that "irregardless" has appeared in the OED for the last 100 years) it, but several years ago I began to embrace a modern punctuation change: the single-space post-period.

Double-spaces after a sentence are for those who were taught to type on a typewriter. Or for those who were taught to type by people who were taught to type on a typewriter. That includes most of us. Initially perturbed, I've come to agree that double-spaces post-period look awkward on a page of typed font.

Today, when editing and trying to single-space David's schoolwork, I was chastised and reminded, "Your mate's an old-fashioned man, sweetheart. I believe in holding doors for women, manners, and double-spaces."

Go ahead and google away at the single v. double debate, if you are shocked to learn that your double-spaces are generally considered incorrect these days. I won't judge you. After all, I married one of you.

10 comments:

  1. I still religiously double-space after periods. Even in text messages. And I write between 80 and 90 psychoeducational reports each year. Flint just informed me that he has now switched to single-spacing because he did some research on the topic recently and found that double-spacing is considered "old-school" or antiquated. I'm going to make a concerted effort to change, but it won't come easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! I switched a few years ago when I read an article on the debate. It took less time than I thought it would, but I like the change. Every so often, I catch myself doing a double-space, but it's usually during a bout of writers' block.

      Delete
  2. Meredith, you don't have to change. "Old-Fashioned" is the new "new". Trust me. I bet I'd get complaints if I quit opening the doors or saying please...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen...I won't be changing...and, btw, what do you think of three dots and no punctuation at all?...

      Delete
  3. I insert 2 spaces after a period and there's no way I could ever change. Anachronistic to the grave!

    P.S. I don't even think it looks that weird. I understand the arguments on both sides, but I stubbornly refuse to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the double-spacing never bothered me until I switched. Now it bugs me when I'm editing. Stay strong!

      Delete
  4. Hmm, I had no idea that the rules had changed. I think I'm going to have to ponder this for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel like it should have been a bigger news deal. Apparently, the change was really in the 1980s, but our teachers taught us the old way. The "courier" font is the only one that allows double-spacing (because it's designed to look like an old typewriter).

      Delete
  5. Hmm, I had no idea that the rules had changed. I think I'm going to have to ponder this for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a double space girl, play the accordion/ autoharp, and still type on my grandma's typewriter from time to time.
    Cheers! Enjoying your adventures in Scottland. My husband is Scottish - he's a Cleland... Heard of it?

    ReplyDelete

Blogging from the chemo lab.

Gooooood Monday morning, y'all! I'm writing from the Norton Cancer Institute where, for the first time in months, I'm able to ac...