Dreaming in Centigrade

My high school spanish teacher was always telling us to stop translating and start thinking in Spanish, and only then would we have a chance at fluency. It's hard to force yourself to think like that. I'm pretty fluent in Scottish, so that's not an issue now, but there are a few other differences I'm trying to adopt.

Let's talk Celcius. It makes sense. Zero is freezing. One hundred is boiling. It's all very metric, and I like that. Unfortunately, I just don't know what "16" feels like. I'm trying. Really trying. I changed my weather apps to centigrade, and I try to use the vernacular when speaking to a local. But I'm still always translating ... I know the equal pallindromes as guidelines. 16C=61F and 28C=82F. Then I sort of guess from there.

Yesterday I went to a swimming club (on the grounds of the school that inspired Hogwarts! but that's another story...) with a friend here, and I weighed myself. David and I had been wondering if we'd lost weight or if not having a drier was just making our pants too big. Anyway, I think it's a little bit of both, but I'm not sure because I weighed myself in kilograms and stones. I think I might just leave it that way and not do the conversion. You know, THINK in stones ... stop translating...

2 comments

  1. Brigid- Thanks for stopping by my blog! I feel the same way about temp and weight. I know I could figure out the weight conversion, but I prefer to live in denial and pretend that kilos are the same as pounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I was quite happy with the kilos. Stones are just weird though. Looking forward to reading your adventures.

    ReplyDelete