Thursday, June 23, 2011

My name is Brigid, and I am addicted to caffeine.


I have an on-and-off relationship with caffeine. In addition to having the same general affect on me as a few tequila shots, it messes with my migraines, hurts my vocal cords, and makes someone with a family history of breast cancer very confused during self-examination time. But somehow, every time I tour in the UK, I come home re-addicted to caffeine.

I blame a combination of Scottish and Southern manners. My Scottish friends new and old offer me a "cuppa" the minute I see them, and being a polite Kentuckian, I don't want to be a rude guest. I certainly don't want to be the one who says, "Do you have anything herbal?" Aside from that excuse, I absolutely adore a "cuppa," especially when I see that cute little pitcher for the milk (never cream) and tiny spoons for stirring and extracting teabags. It's all so precious -- the ceremony, the electric kettles everyone seems to have, the atmosphere -- I simply cannot resist.

Oh, does it taste delicious! And oh, does it work! I'm a chatty person anyway, but give me caffeine, and I will catch myself literally jumping up and down when something excites me. I apologize to all my British hosts. I should have warned you.

When I finally got home, I bought some proper breakfast tea, not wanting to resort to the trouble that is coffee, and I have been daily weaning myself off the drug. This morning I let the teabag steep for a mere 20 seconds in my adorable polka-dotted teapot (yay for wedding presents!). It doesn't taste like Scotland, but I'll soon be able to switch to the decaf breakfast tea I also purchased.

Just in time for the next trip to Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UK Tour dates... almost ready to announce...

I'm currently trying to fill in dates on this United Kingdom tour that I've booked for February. Some of the dates have been really ...