One year anniversary of my mastectomy

Find me on TikTok :)

It's been a YEAR since I had both my breasts amputated. I let my diagnosis-anniversary pass without acknowledgement (mostly because we had some other drama going on that week), but I am going to honor today with a video chronicling the struggle it took to even get my diagnosis.

I made a video over on TikTok -- a site I'd avoided for so long because it confused me, but now I realize I should have been on TikTok all along. It's the perfect outlet for me because video is my favorite medium. I've taken thousands of hours of footage since I left my career as a TV producer in 2001, but I never had a good outlet for it. YouTube wasn't right because I like short videos, and Facebook is annoying when you inundate your page with video. TikTok allows me the perfect short way to throw up video content. Anyway if you're on TikTok, give me a follow, please: www.tiktok.com/@brigidkaelin

Here's my story, which I think you can watch without actually joining TikTok: 


@brigidkaelin

My cancer diagnosis took almost a YEAR. ##icouldbebrown ##breastcancerbadass ##feelitonthefirst ##breastcancer ##cancerjourney

♬ Inspiration - WavebeatsMusic

The most important things I've learned over the past year are: 

1) Be your own advocate. 

2) Don't back down. 

3) SHARE YOUR STORY, if you're able to handle the public forum.

Tell me ... have you scheduled a mammogram or similar since hear a story like mine? Odds are, you have. Sharing our stories saves lives. 

Love one another.

0 comments