Christmas movies to watch from bedrest


Quick cancer update: I’m back in bed. They had to completely take out my right tissue expander, cut off infected skin and sew me up flat. Three days ago I felt fine and was only 3 weeks out from getting my implants and being completely finished with treatment (other than many years on tamoxifen). Now I have to:

1) heal from this surgery for 12 weeks  

2) have another surgery to put in tissue expander in (so maybe February?)

3) wait another 8-10 weeks 

4) swap out the tissue expanders for implants

YES. I know it could be worse. I do. But allow me my feelings for now, okay? It sucks. I want my mom. I want my dad. I’m so tired of being in bed and not being able to go on leaf collection walks with my kids.

Instead: let’s talk Christmas movies.

I call them all “Hallmark movies,” but I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen a Hallmark one. Don’t those always revolve around angels and churchy things? I don’t know how one sees a Hallmark movie without the Hallmark channel, which we don’t have. BUT I do have Netflix, and there are plenty of movies whose thumbnails are women in red dresses hugging a man in a green sweater. That’s the same genre, right?

I’ll be watching many of these films while on bed rest, since I’m not able to focus enough to read or write. Join me in my Terrible Christmas Movie Club?

Last night’s fine, fine film:

A Christmas Prince. Or is it THE Christmas Prince? Hard to say. Not important. What IS important is that this film is set both in New York City during snowfall and also in a made-up-Kingdom ending in the suffix “via.” This is fairly common in genres I like. Aldovia, Genovia, Belgravia, etc. If you’re working on your screenplay, consider Brigidovia. Or Kaelinovia. No, nevermind, those are terrible. Instead consider taking a disease, chopping off the last half and swapping it for ‘-ovia’ or ‘-avia.’ As in Bubovia, Scurvia, Consumptovia, Syphilavia, you’re welcome for the setting of your next unexpected princess tale.

I watched A Christmas Prince in 2017 (and the sequels ...), but started fresh last night to watch terrible movies with my husband. David is new to this genre. He is shockingly good at anticipating the plot lines, but that’s probably because he’s a legit genius, according to his GMAT scores. I mean who saw that adoption plot line coming?? Not only David, but also he knew the acorn was the secret to the throne.  

This movie is perfect for not thinking or caring about anything at all and instead getting swept away into a dumb world of snow and blogging. Warning: you MUST suspend your disbelief. It’s like taking a ghost tour of an ancient city; it’s only fun if you actively decide to believe in ghosts. Shut out your hating, click on the electric fireplace, and settle in with a weighted blanket. Winter is coming.

Checklist of imagery that makes this movie solid:

- mighty horses trotting through snowy Romanian mountains

- a saucy child character

- a woman with a decidedly low-paying job whose company decides to fly her to Europe

- a makeover

- a dead mom

- a dead dad

- lies that threaten to ruin the main romantic plot

- a proposal that comes way before it should

(I need to make bingo cards, don’t I!?)

What should I watch next?

*****************************

All kinds of links, from cancer updates to tip jars, are here. Support artists if you can.

2 comments

  1. Not Christmas - but if you have a DVD player and you have not seen it, I will bring over a DVD of "Waking Ned Devine" one of the funniest movies ever made. Kathie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh i LOVE that movie and i don't think I've seen it in 20 years!!!!

      Delete