Who is Brigid anyway?

me and my family on a worldschooling
adventure
Hello, new readers! I'm guessing you arrived via the essay that Salon.com published. If you're a regular reader (Thank you!), click over to Salon to read something new.

I'd been trying to figure out a way to tell the story of my dad and duPont and Dark Waters and death, but it is a story that felt bigger than this blog. I am grateful to Salon's Editor-in-Chief for believing in me, which sounds totally cheesy, but which I mean so sincerely.

So if you're new here, let me quickly tell you a little bit about me and this blog.


  • I've made my living as a musician & private music teacher for 20 years. Piano was my first instrument, but I am known for playing accordion and the musical saw. 
  • I have seven albums on Spotify and many more unrecorded. 
  • I play guitar in an instrumental bluegrass band. 
  • I sing in an Andrews Sisters Tribute act. 
  • I've toured as a sideman in heavy rock bands and light folk bands. Occasionally I pay the saw with Elvis Costello.  (He's wonderful.)
  • My first blog entry in 2006 was just a quick update about Nashville Star, a TV show that drafted me to be the 'quirky contestant.' I didn't make the finals, but an 18-year-old named Kacey Musgraves was next to me during much of the process. 
  • I fell in love with a Texan. 
  • We moved to Scotland for two years and had a baby there -- that would be Graham, my little movie star. He's got a three-year-old brother named Angus. 
  • Shortly after Angus was born, my mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. 
  • The day of her first chemo, I was offered a big role in ONCE the Musical, the international touring production. I turned it down. Because family. I don't regret it because what's the point
  • Three years ago I had an infant on the breast and a mother in chemo. 
  • Last summer my mom went into hospice care the same week my dad was diagnosed with stage four sinus cancer.

More fun facts:


  • I'm a mental case about 30% of the time. 
  • My husband is a saint.
  • My kids are incredible.
  • My mother was Jewish and my dad was Catholic and I grew up both nothing and both.
  • I want to get them into therapy as soon as possible.
  • I was once a network television producer, back in my late teens, early twenties.
  • I had a home-birth, on purpose.
  • As of last month, I drive an electric car. We were car-free since 2011 (odd in Kentucky), but we bought an EV last month when Graham started booking actor jobs that required a car. 
  • I overthink everything.
  • I'm an introvert, but I love the stage.
  • I love whisky, but I hate being drunk. I sip the good stuff and not very often. But I looooooove a peaty single malt.
  • I use this blog to sometimes write poignant pieces and other times to share a trade secret or a family recipe.
  • I tour festivals and folk clubs in Europe at least once a year, though for 2020 I have nothing on the books. Graham keeps booking acting work, and I want to find a new way to create my own art (maybe finally write that book rather than constantly booking tours?!) while supporting my kids in all they want to do.
Enjoy my writing? Please be a patron! Even $1 is magic:

OR these clicks are free, but they seriously help:
Follow my instagram: www.instagram.com/BrigidKaelin 
Like me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/brigidkaelin 
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/brigidkaeli

0 comments