What is this Patreon/Patron thing you keep blabbing about, Brigid?


Someone at the bus stop this week asked me about “that patron thing” I was blogging about. It occurred to me that, doh! only other artists probably know the platform, and it would behove me to explain more.



The TL;DR version (that’s “too long; didn’t read”) is: 
  • Independent artists once made a living by touring + selling CDs. That’s not viable anymore.
  • Art/music/writing has VALUE to society.
  • PATREON is a website that allows you directly support artists; i.e. become a PATRON, you know like in the Renaissance! 
  • Join Patreon and choose your level of support. Maybe it’s $1/month. Maybe it's $5/month. Maybe it’s $100/month. 
  • Once you’re a member you unlock access to content I've posted on my Patreon page.
  • You’ll have EARLY/EXCLUSIVE ACCESS to things over there. I’ve already posted a new song that I wrote on the set of Dark Waters. Only my 23 Patrons can hear it. 
  • I’ll create new content as the community grows, changing it up when I tour or have a new album, or when I realize what kinds of content you all are enjoying. 
  • On Patreon, the best kind of art is created with community support. Can you please help me grow this community? $1/month? $5/month (that’s like buying me one coffee!)
  • Feel great about yourself because by supporting the arts, you have bettered the world.
  • Especially if you've been reading my blog for 15 years and now think maybe a $1/month might be do-able :) 
  • LOVE.


Bonuses I've discovered:
  • With every new patron, I get a little more excited about writing again.
  • This feels long-term, and I can't wait to see what new art comes from it. From songs, to essays, to podcasts, to re-launches of Kentucky Homefront, to general joy and tours.
THANK YOU to those of you who have already pledged. Typically only 1% fans actually convert their lurking-around-and-reading-or-listening into actual dollars-on-Patreon. I had 6000 page views last month. Surely I can get 60 Patrons at $1/month??? Think about how much you used to spend on CDs :) 

0 comments