Babies and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

I made this Facebook post the other day: The only thing keeping Angus quiet this morning is "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" on repeat, so that's how my morning is going. 

It was good for some laughs and some likes, but what I showed a few houseguests a few days later is that it is true! My boys are not quiet creatures. Most of the time they are happy. The "quiet" of which I speak is not the absence of whines, but the absence of chatter. 

We had some friends over recently, however, and Angus was whining. It wasn't loud or heartbreaking, but it was persistent. It took me about 30 minutes before I pulled out my last resort: Alexa, play 'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.'

That mournful electric guitar wailed in three quarter time, and Angus closed his mouth, stared pensively out the window and quieted down.
Vasa Museum in Stockholm, Sweden.

Not surprisingly, that song has been in my head for weeks now, as it is my go-to pacifier.

In related news, we are going to Detroit in a few weeks. David has been working in Detroit, and the boys and I are headed up there to make his hotel room less peaceful enjoy room service and see some sights. 

What's going through my head? 
"In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayed
In the Maritime Sailors' CathedralThe church bell chimed 'til it rang twenty-nine timesFor each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald."
So my new question is: what do we know about Edmund Fitzgerald tourism? I absolutely want to go to the Maritime Sailors' Cathedral.

Do you think in, like, 400 years they will dig up the remains of the Edmund Fitzgerald (point of information: names of specific ships are italicized)? Will they haul it to shore and build a museum around it like they did in Stockholm at the Vasa Museum?

Cue fun photos from when David and I went to Sweden to see My Morning Jacket five years ago:


Look at us, pre-baby, in Sweden!



0 comments