Two Beauty Secrets: shampoo and socks.

There's a Huffington Post blog today on mismatched socks that has just validated something I've been doing for years -- something that's not really an idiosyncrasy, but a secret to life. My socks rarely match. (Read Patrick's blog for a more comic look at the benefits of wearing mismatched socks)

I, too, dump my socks in a drawer and pull two out. I generally try to make sure they are of the same thickness, but even that doesn't bother me much. Taking the time to make sure your socks not only match, but are folded and put away neatly in pairs, is the biggest waste of time I can imagine. I mean, I never claimed to be a fashionista, but I do know that life is short.

As an obsessive sock-matcher, David finds this quirk of mine both charming and frustrating. He's probably a bit concerned now about the times when I will be dressing our baby because you'd better believe I won't worry about his socks matching. I mean, seriously? Washing and organizing an infant's socks? Not on my time...

Another thing that is a waste of time? Shampoo. I haven't used shampoo in ten years. You are shocked and disgusted, yes? Well, check out that mane to your right! I don't have many beauty secrets, but I do know I've got great hair. Sorry if that's arrogant, but every woman should know her best feature. It got unruly for a bit before I learned better (thanks to Su!), but since I stopped using the shampoo, it's been a happy, curly, and more importantly tame crown of luscious locks. A dab of conditioner to clean it and that's it. I don't even own a comb, if you can believe it (maybe that's why I'm always able to travel light -- no toiletries!).

But back to socks. I know that mismatched socks isn't technically a beauty secret, but letting go of that little bit of order in your life is very freeing -- as is not having to buy a bunch of hair product. So when I say "beauty secret," think of it as a tip on relaxing and enjoying yourself. Nobody's looking at your ankles, especially when you've got those great cowboy boots covering them.

You're welcome.

5 comments

  1. Explain more about the no shampoo thing. I tried to do that a few months ago, and my hair got unbelievably greasy. Do tell, do tell!

    And about the socks, I have to side with David on this one. I don't wear socks very often, but they must match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee, the sock thing is not for everyone. But I did like in the Huff Post blog how the guy calculated that an average person spends two weeks over the span of her life sorting socks. I've got an extra two weeks!

      As for shampoo ... the book "Curly Girl" is what got me started (waves count as curls -- and you might find that it curls up a bit more when you stop shampooing). Here's a website that outlines what the book says, although in looking at all that, I really don't do anything close to that anymore, unless I'm going somewhere swanky, then I might consider shaping some of the curls ... http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair
      All I do is clean my scalp and hair with conditioner, rinse, then put a tiny bit of conditioner back in and only rinse half-way -- leaving a little bit in there seems to act as a product, I guess, and keeps it really soft. The book is right that a cold rinse at the end makes it shinier, but I usually don't bother with that. I use my fingers to comb it (while in the shower), dab it with a towel, and let it air dry.

      Here are some before & after pix from lots of other people, some of whom you wouldn't have even known had curly hair before: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html

      Delete
  2. I’m always excited to see all the pictures. This is a perfect thing which is being done. Keep the good work! I have just bookmarked this site for future reference. Looking for your regular post. The big name in fashion style dot com really presenting the trends of the modern age. Your post actually provides the nice information to me great thanks by boots for big calves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over the tips and strategies that actually need to be considered for hair care, really great and fascinating, gonna try it out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the hair do, it looks real amazing and also gives that freaky look to your face...

    ReplyDelete