iSad.

Apple, Apple, Apple. Everything is Apple today. But guess what? I'm pretty sure everything was Apple yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that. And I like it. When was it that I was snuggled up on the couch with David watching the iPhone4S video with my jaw hanging down while David giggled at me, laughing as I nodded at the screen in excitement as Siri reminded that guy to grab the present when he got home? Just this week, right?

It feels weird to be sad about a celebrity death, but this case feels more important -- sort of like Benjamin Franklin died or something (don't you think Benjamin Franklin would have invented the iPhone eventually?). I keep wondering what is NOT going to be in the world now just because of stupid cancer.

It also reminds me of that line from that cinematic masterpiece, "Talladega Nights," where Ricky Bobby says, "No one lives forever, no one. But with advances in modern science and my high level income, it's not crazy to think I can live to be 245, maybe 300." Surely, if that were true and it applied to anyone, that person would be Steve Jobs.

Wanna know a nerdy secret about me? When I was eight, I won "Best in Show" at the Kentucky State Fair for a computer program I wrote and designed ... on my Apple IIC. It was a color image of a piano that played a song on the screen. Maybe I'll get my dad to post a screenshot of that masterpiece. It's not quite on par with Logo Turtle, but it cinched my love of computers and all things Apple.

I don't feel guilty or tricked by my love of a company. I know they are big business, but I just love their products. I also love the attitude of form AND function. Plus, Steve Jobs just always seemed like a really good person. Maybe he had the best publicist in the world, but I like to be a bit more optimistic about humanity.

Anyway, I think David would probably understand if I went out an bought an iPad today. You know, retail therapy for my grief. In lieu of flowers... ?

3 comments

  1. you won a prize for a computer program? Nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only that, but after I took the summer class in programming, the teacher paid me $25 to TEACH the next session with her. And ... 1987 is about as advanced as my computer programming skillz go. Otherwise I'd drive a much better car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to be anti-Apple, and it makes me sad...

    ReplyDelete