How should my garden grow?

Category: Food and Restaurants
As many of you know from watching my little video from Nashville Star, I am known on my street as the Lady-who-has-tomato-plants-in-her-front-yard. I've got no sunlight in my backyard, and there's no way I'm actually going to buy tomatoes from the grocery store.

It's weird living through this new depression. I always enjoyed gardening in previous years because it reminds me where we get our food. I like playing in the dirt, and I love creating things, whether it be songs or artichokes. I also like the charm of having tobacco plants with giant purple flowers. Tobacco plants are beautiful, but my neighbor, AKA Mr. Lawn-Guy, would probably disagree.

But this year -- what with lack of money and the outrageous price of food -- I'm actually planning the garden as a way of feeding myself and my friends. This requires serious planning, and I am not a planner.

Last year, I planted tomatoes, garlic, eggplant, yellow squash, basil, oregano, dill, mint, and cilantro. I had a strawberry plant, but Evil Steve the Squirrel ate every strawberry the second it ripened. The eggplants were adorable to watch, but it turns out I don't really like eggplant.

I'm trying to figure out what I should plant so that I have a harvest all the time. Anyone have an three-year-old asparagus plants they want to donate? I'm too impatient to plant my own. I've been pouring over the Burpee catalog, salivating at the thought of my own artichokes. I need to be a bit more practical this year and actually plant things based on what I want to eat.

Anyone have any ideas?

I definitely want soybeans. I did that a few years ago, and looooooved having fresh edamame in the front yard. I also want things that will be their own meals. That way I can saunter out front, pick a few veggies and spices, and whip up a meal.

Theme gardens are my favorite. Last year I had a salsa garden. At my old house, I had a Shakespeare Garden. Is there a fun theme garden that would also feed my little commune? Hmmmm..

0 comments