Great gift idea instead of flowers.


For months now, I've wanted to join a CSA, so I can go to the Farmers' Markets solely for its hand-holding and crêpe opportunities, rather than for actual substinence. Unfortunately, I have spent more time analyzing CSA websites and haven't actually committed.

For you Brits, CSA stands for community supported agriculture, which is one of those groups that delivers fresh, organic, local, seasonal produce to your door once a week. I've always loved the idea, but never joined in Kentucky because I had a rockin' garden as it is (different from a rock garden). Here, however, our adorable garden is one of those proper British gardens with lavender and rosemary and geranium and other things that have grown for a hundred years. We dare not dig up order for a strawberry patch.

On Friday afternoon, however, I arrived home to find a massive canvas bag labeled "My Local 5 a Day" in front of my door. My first thought was that I'd mistakenly hit "submit" on one of my many website visits, but then I saw the packaging slip. It was a gift from a houseguest we had a few weeks ago. (Thank you!!)

Can I suggest to anyone who wants to send flowers to a gracious host or kind neighbor that, rather than sending a bouquet, you consider sending a produce box from a local farmer? It was pretty much the best surprise. Not only do we have mass quantities of fresh fruits and veggies, but we don't have any reason to go to the grocery store this week.

Here's what we (and by "we," I mean David) made out of our first batch. Steamed cabbage wraps with sauteed broccoli, carrots, red pepper, fennel, sprouts, garlic, and probably something else that I'm forgetting. Now, who knows something fun to do with a Jerusalem artichoke?


3 comments

  1. I have a total ninja recipe for Jerusalem artichoke and carrot soup. Is it still relevant? I'll email it if so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Diana btw-dunno why it seems to have called me some ancient blog I started ages ago and wrote dreadful disappointed romance drivel in-must go and delete it immediately!

      Delete
    2. Ha ha -- i love that. Yes, would love the ninja recipe!! xo

      Delete