Bad novels and the Masons.

I've been taking it easy for a while. It started with my vocal cord injury, which led to a couple days of migraine and intense lower back pain, both of which are surely stress-induced because I'm mildly freaking out about my vocal cord injury. I know it will be fine, and I'm on my best boring behavior. No drinking, no spicy food, a few muscle relaxers, and as little talking as possible.

What do I do then? I've eaten lots of noodles-with-butter, and I've read quite a bit.

The last two days I read Dan Brown's latest novel, The Lost Symbol. I'm not going to lie and tell you I didn't enjoy The Da Vinci Code. I did, and I also like Harry Potter, The Great Gatsby, and apple pie. Da Vinci was a fun read with good puzzles, Paris, and ancient castles.

The Lost Symbol, however, was just, well, not good. It started out okay. I mean, it started out pretty much like The Da Vinci Code, but that's okay. Sticking with a formula isn't always bad. But I figured out the secret on, like, page 10, and kept repeating, "If I'm right about this, I'm going to be sooooo mad." It took until page 500-something, but there it was: the building I'd guessed on page 10. I skimmed about 50 pages of biblical talk out of pure boredom, just because I was too far in to put the book down. I don't think it would have been as bad if it had been a 300 pages novel. Just kill the fluff, dude, we GET it!

I'll tell you what it DID do, however: It has made me obsessed with the Masons. I think I remember that my grandfather was a Mason. If not him, then his father was. I vaguely remember him talking about it once, back in my pre-Dan-Brown days. Do you think he wore secret robes? To what degree did he rise? Am I entitled to anything, even though I'm a girl? My other grandpa was a veteran, so I can join the American Legion if I want. But they don't do much except have cheap beer and bingo. I'd rather be privy to secret rituals. Am I even allowed to say that he was affiliated with the Masons?

Are any of my blog readers Masons? Can you invite me to some event? I promise not to blog about it. There's just this super-cool building in downtown Louisville that has always intrigued me with it's Greek columns and statues. What goes on there? Exciting action or rituals? Or is it just old rich men playing bingo? Am I going to be kidnapped or put on some list now that I've blogged about the Masons? Watch out for me, folks. If I disappear too long ... check with the Masons.

3 comments

  1. Not sure if my previous comment went through. But as a Freemason I would agree with you, Dan Brown's latest book was not nearly as good as his previous works.
    I can answer whatever questions you may have about your family connections to Freemasonry in general as well as events you can attend as a Non Mason and more factual books that will satisfy that obsession you say you have. There are feminine and co-ed obediences operating in the US if your really interested but they are few and far between. The only catch is that they are not recognized by mainstream Freemasons, so you could not go to a meeting of Masons in a regular lodge and they could not go to co-ed or feminine Lodges either. Sound silly, but thats the way it works.
    Anyway most Freemasons will talk your ear off if you let them, so be careful what you wish for.
    I hope your cords are on the mend and as I am not sure is I have ever hear a yodeler, I will be curious to hear it if ever in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brigid! I'm sorry to hear that you are with me in the battle against lower back pain. It sucks big time! Hope you swim your way back to good health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bill! I'm verrrrrry curious. I went to the library a few days ago and got some books. Hope to find someone to talk my ear off about it soon:)

    ReplyDelete