Sunday, February 1, 2009

Still no heat, but all's well in my world.

Current mood: adventurous
Category: Life

I still have no power at my house.

When the power was out for eight days in September, it was actually a beautiful week. The sun didn't set until 7:30, and the neighbors hosted many a Scrabble tournament and hootenanny in their front yards. The weather was a perfect 72degrees, and everyone was in a good mood.

Losing your power in January when it's 20-30 degrees outside is not quite as pleasant, but it has been maybe even more fun. Since last Tuesday, I have slept in five different houses, moving before overstaying my welcome. I left my bag of organic carrots at Erin's house. I left my Ben & Jerry's at Peter's studio. I'm sure I've left many a long-red-hair on various floors and couches and guest beds. Sorry, folks, I tend to shed.

Things I've learned this week:
1. Plastic grocery bags (I absolutely detest them and am a canvas-bag shopper) are perfect to wear around your cowboy boots to make them waterproof. I'm currently sporting Target bags. I can step in all kinds of piles of snirt.
2. Snirt is a word I'd forgotten about. You know, when the snow stops being all pretty and gets mixed in with the dirt. When I was a kid, I thought I'd invented that word.
3. It's great to have a friend with a truck. My car was buried under an ice tree, and I had to haul my equipment (keyboard, guitar, accordion, cables, saws, etc) to a show last night. Thanks, friend-with-a-truck. I had no idea how fun it is to drive through snow in a truck.
4. There is nothing better than music and friends to keep your spirits high when your house is 30 degrees. I know I sound like a Hallmark card, but seriously, I have had so much fun this week running around like a hobo. I danced to Johnny Berry, danced to the Muckrakers, wrote songs with one of my awesome friend Shannon, played a show with my other awesome friend Peter, roved around town, and laughed harder than I have in ages.
5. I think I secretly like power outages. It reminds me of being on the road. A different bed every night and good good music all day long.

thanks, Charles, for letting me use your internet.

brigid

Read more: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=19356498&blogId=467979724#ixzz0tavAF1Hz

No comments:

Post a Comment

UK Tour dates... almost ready to announce...

I'm currently trying to fill in dates on this United Kingdom tour that I've booked for February. Some of the dates have been really ...