Playing with Elvis ... again.

Namedropping alert!

The problem with Elvis is that he's just so completely down-to-earth it's hard not to be convinced he's a friend. Then you look over and see the Spectacular Spinning Songwheel and remember that you're joining him on-stage for a massive sold-out show in Glasgow and that, perhaps, this is kind of a big deal.

David and I bought tickets to the Elvis Costello show many weeks before the event, and I was just hoping to catch EC backstage for a quick hug and hello. But the minute I let him know we were coming to the show, I got an invite to bring my saw and accordion. Of course I was hoping that would happen, but I was also completely cognizant of the fact that he's got his own thing going and can't exactly just invite anyone on stage with him. So, yeah, I was not expecting anything more than a great concert and a fun weekend in Glasgow.

This particular tour just screamed for special guests, though, and it was such a fun night. Elvis's little brother's band, Biblecode Sundays, also joined the Imposters onstage ... you can see all of us below, in a video my dad found online. David was obeying the laws and not recording the show, so this and a few pics are all we've got to remember it by:



Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow, May 11, 2012
In addition to the above raucous finale, I played musical saw on a medley of "Mr. Feathers" and "God's Comic," plus sang a bit of backup. ("Put a vocal mic on Brigid!" was one of my favorite moments of soundcheck.) The show was so much fun, I almost wish I could have been in the audience. But giggling and chatting backstage with Biblecode Sundays while we watched Steve Nieve in awe (I got a private theremin demonstration post-soundcheck and wish I had more time to talk gear with SN) was oodles of surreal fun.



At least David got to see the show from the audience.
Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow, Scotland.

It's going to take everything I have not to name this little boy Elvis or Declan now.

0 comments