Weather and Other Platitudes.


Weather-talk is "trite" in the same way that garlic-breath is "bad." Whoever said garlic breath is a bad thing has clearly never enjoyed Italian food, and whoever said talking about the weather is lame, clearly hasn't spent any time in Louisville. Maybe in LA it would be a dull topic of conversation, but here, where we've had all four seasons in the past week alone, of course we're talking about it.

We've seen snow flurries, severe flooding, hail, 90-degrees (my personal favorite), the first blooms of the magnolias, and a tornado-ish day that blew all the leaves off my neighbor's magnolia straight into my garden. I don't mind my garden being freckled with leaves, but I feel sad that the tree lost its blooms already.

So let's talk about weather. Are any of y'all like me and keep many other cities programmed into your smartphone's weather app? When I'm feeling cold, all I have to do is browse the weather in Yakutsk (currently 10* a heat wave!). Right now both Edinburgh and Paris are a mild 43, while Austin wins the best-weather-award at a perfect 85. Lubbock somehow started hitting 90 degrees back in February, making me extremely annoyed that Christmas isn't in February.

Anyway, that's pretty much what's going on. There's lots of weather here. People are complaining that we aren't seeing spring at all, when really, this is what spring is like every year. Now let's get back to that 90-degrees...

1 comments

  1. I don't have a smartphone yet, but I do keep track of Austin's weather via "MyYahoo", and I do get jealous about 75% of the time.

    ReplyDelete