Two good shows happening tonight.

FWT just asked me nicely if I could please "write a funny blog today." Apparently, I have not been on the top of my funny-blog game, which I suppose is true. I'm still getting back int he game. Although yesterday I linked you to Jim Welp's column which is LOL-funny, so that should count for something, right?

Well, today might not be so funny because it's too early in the morning for a musician to respond to pressure. Instead, I'm going to write about what's going on in Louisville tonight. There are a bunch of good shows happening, two of which folks had kindly asked me to share-the-bill at one point in the planning stages. Unfortunately, back when said shows were being booked, I had no idea what part of the world I'd be in. Since the one time in my career that I had to cancel a gig make me sick to my stomach for days (despite the 3-month advance notice I'd given), I never take gigs that I'm not 100% sure I can actually play. It's just bad form, I think. But now that I'm in town, I'm both bummed that I couldn't play, and slightly glad ... because I wouldn't have been able to choose.

So anyway, here is some info on two fabulous shows happening:

TONIGHT:
Rudyard Kipling
Adam Arcuragi
Sandpaper Dolls
American Freedom Machine
show starts at 10:00, get there earlier

Tonight at the Rudyard Kipling is Adam Arcuragi, an Americana-but-not-so-Country-as-"americana"-might-make-you-think Artist originally from Philadelphia, but makes his home in New York when he's not on the road. He's got all kinds of fancy press to validate him, like from World Cafe to All Things Considered, and several big newspapers and magazines in between. His MySpace page says "Death Gospel," but I think that must be in the same jest as Shannon Lawson's page that describes his music as "Crunk." From what I've heard of Adam Arcuragi's music, he could get away with "gospel" for sure, but the "Death" part just seems to show that he likes to have fun with his songs. It should be a really good show tonight, and I'm going to try my best to get by and sit in on a tune or two on the ol' accordion. His songs are soulful, for sure, and reminded me of the good parts of Conor Oberest and Will Oldham. You may have heard Adam's tune "Bottom of the River" on places like NPR or in places like a Wal-Mart commercial.

And in small-world news, Adam also happens to be recording while he's in Kentucky, doing some work at Shangri-La studios, where I happened to have recorded West 28th Street. That's the same studio/producer where Ben Sollee and These United States have recorded.

And maybe my favorite part of what promises to be an already good night at the Rud is that Adam Arcuragi is sharing the bill tonight with Louisville's favorite all-girl a cappella group: The Sandpaper Dolls. I really like them. I've probably only seen them live about four times, but they blow me away every show.


TONIGHT

Sam Hadfield CD RELEASE
in-store performance at Earx-tacy at 5:00
CD RELEASE PARTY for "Brook Street" at Zanzabar with Trapper Haskins and Shadwick Wilde at 9:00 pm
$5.

It's always, always, always important to support our local musicians, just as important as shopping at local shops and recycling. I first heard of Samuel Hadfield when he asked to perform at the Townes Van Zandt Tribute I organize every January. Now, plenty of musicians want to perform at that show, and many of them have never heard of Townes. That's okay with me because at one point in my life, I hadn't heard of him either. And it's better to come to good music late than never to find it at all. But Sam was barely 21 or something and he was already a huge TVZ fan, so clearly, the guy had some good music history training at one point during his time growing up in Paducah, Kentucky.

His new record is heavily influenced by Townes and many other good American folk singers. I've only heard a couple of tracks, but I liked what I heard. And it's only his first release. Watch out for him on the Louisville scene, and go to one of his shows. He's a good writer, a good singer, and a good performer. Not much more you can ask for, right?

0 comments