My blood-type has ruined my GPA.

I gave blood a few weeks ago at Louisville Public Media's Blood Drive. It was kind of weird to lie there and squeeze the ball in the same performance studio where I've squeezed the accordion at least thirteen times on WFPK's Live Lunch program. But I was really excited because it was the first time I was actually able to give blood. Every time I'd tried previously, I couldn't for some reason or another -- either the wrong hemoglobin count or I'd been out of the country too recently.

Since that day in June, I've been waiting to find out my blood type. And today when I opened my mail from the Red Cross, I felt my stomach turn in a really uncomfortable way.

We all know that I was, um, a bit of an over-achiever in high school and college. (That is probably an understatement.) But may I tell you that seeing "Brigid Kaelin: B+" on my Red Cross ID card instinctively irritated me?

Do you think that maybe if I did some extra credit or volunteered at the canteen or gave plasma, I could at least get it change to an "A-?"

Friend-who-cooks-pancakes got an "A+" on his card, and he's not letting me forget it. In fact, I just saw him pumping his fists in the air and doing a little jig while singing "I got an A+ I got an A+!" He and I are fighting.

So for the time being, I'm dealing with a B+. Anyone else out there a B+? We can save each other's lives. Hit me up if you need a pint.

0 comments