Beautiful music with beautiful people.

Category: Music

Thanks for all the happy holiday and new year's wishes. I have a growing list of things I want to blog about, but I've been so busy doing all those things that I haven't had time to write about it.

So here are some highlights of some good times.

New Year's Eve

I took the night off, in theory. Dropped by a friend's party. Then dropped by the Monkey Wrench to have a cocktail before zipping over to Headliner's to dance to Johnny Berry. Of course, I ended up singing with his band as well. This led to a someone sending up a drink -- isn't life great when the audience knows what you drink? -- which led to me being hungover on New Year's Day. Typical, of course, but I rarely actually drink on New Year's Eve. I also found a new dance partner who can lead well, which is nice because I think I was wearing Bo out at all those Johnny Berry shows. You're off the hook, Bo.

Anyway, it was annoying to have a headache on New Year's Day because for the past five years (well, i took last year off), I have helped put together the...

Townes Van Zandt Tribute

It started when some of the guys in the kick-ass southern rock band Dallas Alice got the idea to host an event on New Year's Day where local musicians play Townes Van Zandt covers. We did the first one in 2005 (I think), and this year I moved the event to the Monkey Wrench.

Such a beautiful event. I was in business-mode, so sorry if I didn't talk to you. But when you are in charge of making sure 30 singer-songwriters get their instruments tuned up and play their songs at the right time, you don't have time to socialize. I even carried a clipboard as I flitted and floated around the Wrench.

The spirit behind the evening was as gorgeous as the music. Thank you for coming, for sharing, and for listening to the tunes. And for the punctual producer in me, I was tickled that we started at 8:20 on the dot, and ended up only off by ten minutes on the schedule. Rock on, you musicians, for being both professional and unbelievable talented.

The Monkey Wrench

... has been host to several really cool events in the past several months. One of the best musical nights I've experienced happened there spontaneously on Saturday evening. I was having dinner at the Wrench with Charles, Dennie, and Shannon after a photo shoot. We were all about to part ways to our various separate plans for the the night when an old friend of Shannon's walked in the bar: Todd, from his old Louisville band (The Galoots) back in the 90's. They hadn't seen each other in years, and within minutes, we'd all decided to play an impromptu show together at the Monkey Wrench after dinner.

It's amazing what changing your Facebook status can do for an empty room. A few text messages and status changes later, and the room was packed full of people reminiscing about the days of The Galoots.

Honestly, I didn't really feel like I had much business playing with those two because I never even saw their band (hey, i was in high school then). But we sat around playing old bluegrass standards, switching instruments, laughing, singing. I even got to rock out a bit on the mandolin, and play some honky tonk piano. Good times. We may do it again sometime, this time with some advance notice.

Consider marking Friday, February 13 on your calendar now for a big surprise show.

Anyway ... loads more, but I thought I'd share some of the week's/year's more interesting and artistically satisfying moments.

It's only five days in, and it's already been full of satisfying music and beautiful people. Go team.

Read more: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=19356498&blogId=462015187#ixzz0tatkx3Ga

0 comments