Cast iron and home cookin'

I have gone a little crazy and am throwing away anything resembling non-stick or Teflon or waterproof or basic disgusting carcinogenic chemicals in our house. I know, I know -- we've all known about it for years, but it apparently takes seeing your dad's eye turn inside out and spontaneously bleed before you decide maybe teflon isn't the best idea.

I'm slowly replacing everything with Le Creuset and Staub, but here's my exception:

I can't find the exact online like, but it's similar to this one. Just cook it on LOW HEAT AND IT WON'T STICK!



Have y'all seen the trailer for this movie? Because I suspect it's gonna make ALL of y'all throw out your Teflon:

6 comments

  1. My cast iron skillet was apparently my great-great-great aunt's, or something like that. I still use a few saucepans or kettles for boiling water here and there, but for the most part that cast iron has been the only thing I've cooked on for like five years now. Hope you get some you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love stories about heirloom cast irons!!! I gave away my parents' because I'm a vegetarian and couldnt' handle the thought of all the bacon grease, but i fully support someone else using it.

      Delete
  2. I got three for Christmas this year - different sizes and wonderfully old. My bride found them at an "antique" store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can find cast iron at yard sales, flea, markets, and antique store. You might need to put in the elbow grease and rework it. I have countless pans in two states. In my condo in Atlanta I have Le Creuset as we only have electric cooktop. So seek and he shall find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of used cast iron, but we are all vegetarian. So the idea of fifty-year-old bacon grease doesn't sit well, lol.

      Delete