Wee boy updates ... chapter books!

I can't catch a break over here. It's nothing life-threatening or anything, and life is, overall, wonderful. But the most annoying little things keep coming at just the wrong times, and I just am never able to get even 20% of my To Do list done. Rather than complain, I thought I'd do that thing we all know we should be doing: focusing on the positive.

So.

Exciting things happening:
matching fox hats and a KILT.

The Wee Boy has been hanging onto my every word at night when we read ... chapter books. It's the milestone I've been waiting for since that pregnancy test. We read to him every night, of course, because all the books say if you don't read to your child, he'll end up in prison (#grainofsaltplease). Up till now, of course, it's been short read-in-one-sitting books.

A few weeks ago, however, I started reading The Phantom Tollbooth out loud to him, and he
1) follows the storyline
2) understands most of the words and
3) is actually excited to find out what happens next.

 Considering bedtime and naptime have been the most stressful times of the day for me for the past 2.5 years, this is a huge improvement. "Mommy, can we read about Milo and the watchdog yet?" !!!! This is as close as he's ever gotten to asking to go to bed. It is a miracle because THERE ARE SO MANY AMAZING BOOKS TO START READING!!

What's your favorite? I remember when I was a nanny, we read Anne of Green Gables and some Oz books and Alice in Wonderland. I know they aren't all age-appropriate, but consider that David read Lonesome Dove in its entirety to the wee boy when he was 4-6 weeks old.

0 comments