Monday, February 16, 2015

The death of my e-reader. Woe is me.

My Kindle broke over Christmas. Or rather, David's Kindle, which I had taken over as my own, broke. They were both over four years old, so it wasn't unexpected. Still, I had grown completely attached and was verrrrrry sad upon its demise.

I had not expected to love e-reading as much as I do. Had it not been for my Kindle, however, I would not have read a book a day during the first few weeks of the Wee Boy's life. I remember staying up in three-hour-shifts taking turns holding the baby. Being able to hold a book and turn a page one-handed meant I could actually read and not wake him up with movement or noisy paper. Also, I get carsick when reading books, but for some reason, reading on my Kindle never caused nausea. And having a Kindle means having a thousand books with you at all times ... basically: Me + Kindle = love!

Today I am grappling with replacing it or not. I don't like reading on my phone or iPad (the backlight gives me a headache and/or keeps me awake at night). But I am not sure I am ready to spend the money. I am about to go on a two-week adventure by myself, however, and this might include time to myself ... time to read! Reading before bedtime or in a tea shop in Yorkshire before a gig. I feel like the $79 (or $119 if I splurge on paperwhite) could be better used in, say, the Wee Boy's college fund. Oh, the mama guilt ...

#firstworldproblems , I know. But let me wallow for a bit, won't you?


4 comments:

  1. buy it think of the time on the planes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go for it. They last for ages and I couldn't imagine not having my Kindle to turn to on those sleepless nights...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how i am being convinced ...
      also, can't wait to see you!

      Delete

Blogging from the chemo lab.

Gooooood Monday morning, y'all! I'm writing from the Norton Cancer Institute where, for the first time in months, I'm able to ac...