Business first: Louisvillians, get out your iphones now and ask Siri to remind you to go to Great Flood Brewing Company (by the Douglass Loop) this Wednesday around 6:30. I'm singing there from 7-9 with my good friends Dan Canon and Steve Cooley. It's also doubling as my annual Chrismakkuh party, where I make cookies. Cookies and craft beer and Cooley and Canon and Kaelin ... sounds alliteratively delicious, yes? See you there. It's all-ages, and it's free.
Cooking second: LOOK AT THIS APPLE PIE THAT DAVID AND I MADE! Seriously, we were inspired by Pinterest, but ended up doing a combination of a few designs we saw on the internet.
Directions:1. Make pie crust. (Google a recipe).
2. Slice apples thinly, leaving the peels on them. Red apples will suggest a red rose, so using a variety of pinks to reds could be very cool.
3. Toss them in apple pie spices and a little lemon juice.
4. Arrange them like the first picture, but go around and around and around.
5. Use super-thin slices for the center.
6. My first layer was too short, so I added a second layer, less carefully, supplementing the "petals" with extra apple slices.
6. Bake at 350 for an hour.
It's beautiful. It tastes delicious. But, you know, I think I prefer apple pies that have a top layer of crust on them. The rose design is impressive, but it's hard to cut slices of it.