The escape of the newspaper.

My favorite thing about staying at my parents' house: they get the New York Times. It's only on Saturday and Sunday, but it has made for the most luxurious few minutes -- a glimpse of life pre-baby, when sipping coffee and reading were as blissful as watching the wee boy dance to the busker at the farmers' market.


A slight difference in my newspaper strategy, since having a child, is that I no longer have the patience to read all of the front pages. It's terrible, I know, especially since at one point in my adult career, I wrote network news in New York City. The grief of war news is too emotional now, and I tend to go straight to my favorites: the Travel section and the Book Review. I read the Arts section too, but not with the fervor with which I embrace the others.

I know, I know, a psychologist would tell you it's a quest for escape. What's wrong with that, really, though?

The Storybook London article from a few weeks ago had me wanting to wake the wee boy up from his nap, purely so we could read Harry Potter (or maybe just Beatrix Potter at his age) together. And of course, I had to daydream of designing my own literary tour of the United Kingdom.

Don't even get me started on what the Book Review does to me. Just THINK of all the books there are out there that I must read, from the new JK Rowling/Robert Galbraith mystery (I actually really enjoyed The Cuckoo's Calling) to the new book in the Outlander series (another blog on those books later this week). Yes, yes, I'm in a pattern of novels. Again: escape. If I'm not traipsing about foreign soils, at least I can read about it.

What's your newspaper strategy?

0 comments