Show wrap-up and macaroni and "cheese" recipe.

photo by John Bochan
I know you're DYING to know how Saturday's show went, so I'll tell you. It was fun -- great   crowd and good macaroni and cheese (even if I did have to ask them to hold the bacon). If you stayed till the end of the show, you even got to see Peter Searcy sing the entire overture to Jesus Christ Superstar, which I'm sorry to say is NOT on video.* See what you miss when you stay home on Saturday nights? (I'm talking to myself here too, I swear.)

But let's go back to macaroni and cheese for a minute. I've got a recipe for you. My neighbor gave me this enormous box of whole wheat macaroni, and I stumbled upon a good use for it while making single people food a few days ago. David was in NYC all week for work, and it was too cold to walk to the grocery. In situations like this, I revert to "cooking" like no one is watching ... you know, meals that consist of an entire can of spinach or the mystery bag from the freezer.

It involves one of my favorite soup recipes, so bear with me while I train-of-thought you around my head.

Coconut curry sweet potato soup:

2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled, then baked/microwaved
1 can of coconut milk
a few shakes of curry powder

All you do is immersion blend these things together. If it's too thick for you, add water or milk. Salt/pepper to taste.

Here's where the GENIUS struck. I was boiling up some macaroni noodles, thinking how I don't like the taste of whole wheat pasta, but I know it's better for me, when I thought: MIX THE MACARONI WITH THE SWEET POTATO SOUP! Talk about weird, single people concoction, right? But it didn't seem like it would horrible. Also, I like my soup on the thicker side, so it actually looked like a roux at this point.

Well, guess what? It's pretty fantastic. It's creamy, so it satiates the desire for cream and cheese if you're vegan (or just being healthy), but it's yummy yummy yummy. My 17-month-old even devoured an entire bowl and then demanded more "RONI RONI RONI!!"




Here's the full recipe then:
Macaroni and "cheese"

2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled, then baked/microwaved
1 can of coconut milk
a few shakes of curry powder
8 oz Macaroni noodles (I used whole wheat)
Blend cooked sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and curry powder together. Pour soup over cooked macaroni noodles SLOWLY and mix until you reach desired consistency. Save leftover soup for another meal. Salt/pepper to taste.


* Correction  ... it IS on video. But I don't know that I have permission to post such an intimate moment. I will treasure it always, however.






0 comments