What should I be listening to?

A picture of the piano at Graceland.
Just because. I went there once. It was neat.
I had a business meeting with a friend yesterday who mentioned that I should blog more about music. She's totally right -- I should. Except, as I mentioned to her, when I write about music, my blog gets a decent number of hits. When I write about personal stuff, my blog gets ten times the views. Apparently, people are a lot more interested in babies and depression than in what I'm listening to.

And that's a good thing.

Because I'm not listening to anything.

It's not really by choice. I have bought music recently. I always buy my friend's new albums (most recently Adam Holmes and Wendy Colonna), and when David finds them around the house, he puts it on. But I haven't discovered anything lately on my own.

It's just like my music libido is gone.

I listen to talk radio. I read books. I read the newspaper. I read blogs. I write -- prose. I do play the piano and ukulele several times a week. But I haven't even opened iTunes in weeks, nor have unpacked the boxes of CDs that I put in storage before we moved to Scotland. Come to think of it, all my CDs may have been stolen along with our TV and booze and David's shoes. How would I know?

This isn't a proud moment for me.

So help me out here. I'm going to buy some new music. I am even going to attempt to listen to it. 

What should it be?


5 comments

  1. Try Sid and the Coal Porters. Had them staying with me on Tuesday. He was asking after you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val McCallum / At the End of the Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good stuff. Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, Gershwin, Rodgers and Hart, Bernstein. There is nothing new under the sun. Secondly, if you write about this wonderful music of 60 or so years ago it will be new to most of the people who read your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preservation Jazz Hall Band's "That's It" is playing a lot in our house right now. Miles plays the trumpet and he is so into this and we all love it and dance around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers, "Gift Horse", or Stephen's new solo album "Blunderstone Rookery"

    ReplyDelete