Eat your watermelon seeds, people!

If you know me, you know that my favorite food is watermelon. People who think watermelon tastes the same as cucumber clearly do not have taste buds as evolved as mine. I would suggest that such people be punished, but I think the lack of taste of that delicious watermelon flavor is punishment enough.

Here's a fact about me that you might not know: I love watermelon seeds.

It's long been a source of contention between me and David. He thinks I'm weird because not only do I go out of my way to buy a seeded watermelon (seedless ones just don't taste the same), I also don't bother to scoop out the seeds when I'm eating a slice. Sometimes I'll just cut the top off a watermelon and just dig in with a spoon.

This isn't because I'm lazy and has nothing to do with me not matching my socks. I actually like the seeds. People eat pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and various other seeds -- why should watermelon seeds be treated so differently?

Now that David's got an iPhone and has instant Google, he did a little research for me this morning.

Did you know that a cup of watermelon seeds has 30 grams of protein? It turns out watermelon seeds not only add a wee bit of crunch to your delicious sweet treat, but they are actually really nutritious.

Take that, America!

0 comments