Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Train rides are my favorite.

Quite possibly the train system is my favorite thing about Europe -- no invasive pat-down by TSA, no ear-popping, way fewer carbon emissions, no luggage restrictions, no passport control, and lots of exciting hustle-bustle of daily travelers.

This morning began with a 3.5 hour train ride from Edinburgh to Manchester. I'd booked my ticket in advance to get a cheaper fare (you can save significantly if you are able to book in advance), as well as reserve a forward-facing window seat, which prevents puking (another hot tip that might only apply to me).

In reviewing my options, I also ticked "Quiet Coach," which means a train car that restricts mobile phones and loud conversations. As I assumed screaming babies would also be forbidden, I opted for the "Quiet Coach." Unfortunately, three cackling Glasgwegian women did not appear to understand the term "Quiet," and I didn't want to be the mean old lady to tell them to hush. I suppose that's what iPods are for -- drowning out Glasgwegians.

Lessons learned: definitely book in advance, but don't assume the Quiet Coach means anything.

It's also impossible (for me) to take photos from a fast-moving train, but I always try anyway:

1 comment:

  1. This was the main thing I missed since we opted to fly to London...next time. next time.

    ReplyDelete

Laundry is saving my sanity.

Family pic that has nothing to do with laundry, but aren't they all just delicious? Laundry. I'm going a little bonkers after we...