Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Little Cabin Home ... in Edinburgh?

I've played Edinburgh to packed rooms at least three times (and to less-than-packed rooms at least twice), but suddenly I'm a new local, which is totally different than being an international touring artist. I was too young and dumb to remember the intimidation-factor of being new on the Louisville music scene. Now back home I'm spoiled by invitations to sing at galas and great gigs. Edinburgh is different, and it's a lot like starting over.

Last night I pulled myself up by my wellie-bootstraps and ventured out to a local jam. Before you start picturing deedle-ee-dee tunes, know that this was a bluegrass jam. Yes, bluegrass. I guess it's not totally out-of-place considering most bluegrass songs are just versions of celtic tunes transposed to G and with a banjo. Still, it was bizarre to hear a brogue followed by a Stanley Brothers tune.
Also, just in case I haven't bragged about my friend Steve Cooley enough, know that folks here in Edinburgh were VERY impressed to know that I play with Steve. Steve, did you know that I'm namedropping you over here? Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UK Tour dates... almost ready to announce...

I'm currently trying to fill in dates on this United Kingdom tour that I've booked for February. Some of the dates have been really ...