Travels, Galas, Resolutions.

Happy new year to those of you on the Julian calendar. It's been a busy few weeks for me, from spending time with family in Lubbock, to visiting friends in Austin, and "camping" (in a mansion on a mountain) in Gatlinburg, to playing shows here and there. I got back to Louisville at 3am on Monday morning, having driven home after playing a fun show in Nashville with Peter Cooper and Eric Brace.

Last night, I sang at the new Louisville Mayor's Inaugural Gala (which was open invitation to the public, to those of you who messaged me saying you wished you'd been invited, you sillies). It was a really fun event, and I'm starting to think that all big events should be held on Monday nights. People tend to behave themselves when they know they have to work the next day. Even I only had one cocktail, which I'm pretty sure I sweat out immediately on the dance floor. The whole event was impressive, and I've never seen the Convention Center looking so classy. Really, it was just a fun night, and I was really happy to be a part of it.

I do think it a bit odd that they gathered Louisville musicians and then had us sing cover songs -- I sang "Dancing Queen," no kidding -- but then, I can appreciate wanting songs people want to dance to. Also, I'm not sure that my most popular song, "Future Mr. Used-to-Be," would have been appropriate for a show honoring New Mayor. It was a nice change though, as well as the easiest load-in in the world. I just showed up and sang. I think I could get used to that.

Anyway, it's a new year, and I've got a few goals:
First and foremost, I am going to record soon. It's been too long, and I've got way more material than I need.
Second, I've been bad about this blog the past couple of months, and I resolve to get back on track. Thanks to all of you who have been reading. I really love your comments and messages, and I hope to have lots of adventures to write about in 2011.
Third, and maybe most important, I'm going to find some way to delineate work and play. It's so hard when you're self-employed because not checking voicemail on weekends often means missed opportunities and angry clients. But I need some down time. I need to figure out a way to balance playing-around-on-Facebook and promoting-my-music-on-Facebook. This year: balance.

0 comments