What's going on this weekend.

I'm not feeling particularly creative today. My ToDo list is insane, and I'm tired of the paper-cutting machine at Kinko's -- oops, I mean at FedEx Office (what's up with that, anyway?). Rather than tell you a funny story about my Cinco de Mayo margaritas, I'm going to talk about some live music events this weekend that will likely be a good time.


James Apollo will be in town May 7 at The Vernon Club, 1575 Story Avenue. It's a $7 cover, but for that you get the lovely and charming Butch Rice (not to be confused with the lovely and charming Butch Ross, with whom I'm touring the UK in two weeks), as well as eremy*JIrvin, whose stage name I find a bit as confusing as Yim Yames, but I can get behind some wordplay. It's kind of like Pig Latin, but way less annoying.

Anyway, James's manager sent me a cool CD called "How Hard a Heart of Gold Can be" a while back, and I've been listening to it quite a bit. People so rarely send me CDs, and I'm always curious when someone has a manager. I'm still waiting for someone who is actually in the music business to take on that role for me. Anyway, I actually liked James Apollo's CD, hence this blog saying you should go see him. His one-sheet says his songs are formed by the imagery of William Faulkner (I'm a sucker for a Faulkner reference). Thankfully, his songs are much less confusing than a Faulkner sentence, and they are way shorter as well.

Also, it appears that he is touring with a band -- a difficult task for a singer-songwriter type, but really cool for a Louisville audience. I'm hoping to make it out to the show tomorrow night. Maybe I'll see you there.

Butch Rice, James Apollo, and eremy•JIrvin
http://www.butchrice.com/
http://www.jamesapollo.com
http://www.myspace.com/eremyjirvin

0 comments