Dragons, motorcyles, castles, oh my.


It was a late night at the motorcycle club/venue. I crashed around 2:00, but Butch partied with the locals. I'm hoping that doesn't catch up with us on our insanely long drive to Scotland tomorrow. Lots of good folks, and the place reminded me of the Air Devils of my youth... good times. We crashed at the club, in hostel-style accomodations, and I was surprised when, an hour after I awoke, about six bikers emerged from various other rooms. We had a lovely chat about Welsh politics over some strong coffee. I think they've all taken off on their bikes now, since apparently, I am extremely adept at bringing sunshine and warmth to the various countries I visit. Not a drop of rain since I arrived, and barely a cloud in the sky. You're welcome, Britain.

Yesterday I saw loads of dragons and an awesome castle -- that's awesome in the literal sense, not the urban vernacular. I never cease to be amazed by castles. This one was Caerphilly Castle, built in the 13th century and despite being in ruins, it still has a moat and towers you can climb. In fact, there was a wedding going on in the Great Hall when we arrived, which was extra cool.... you could actually envision what a mighty feast would have been like in the 1200's, despite the bride being in your standard sleeveless wedding gown.

The dragons, unfortunately, were all at gift shops and above buildings. Red dragons are the symbol of Wales, and I think it's a mighty symbol indeed. In fact, I'm determined to leave here with some sort of red dragon souvenir, whether it be a keychain, a sticker, a sparkly t-shirt, or a football. It's the perfect mystical creature to be a country symbol. I mean, dragons are fierce. The unicorn or shrieking eel would be much less intimidating to an intruder.

Another observation: In England I was told that I wouldn't understand anything the Welsh said. Then I get here in South Wales, and it sounds like home. I've got some wonderful family friends from Swansea, and I've known them my whole life. So, to me, the Welsh accent is always what I thought of as the standard British accent. Here in Crumlin, the accent is a bit more pronounced than our friends, but it sounds completely normal.

Okay, off to see something pretty. Wales just has these ridiculous mountain views... and i'm hoping a good cream tea as well.

0 comments