Master me.

I had a dream last night that I forgot I already have a Master's Degree. I don't have a Master's degree, but I kind of want one for various reasons, one of which is that people would then have to call me Master Kaelin. It was a nice dream because I was, like, "Wow, I can't believe I forgot that those classes I took counted as a joint BA/MA, and all this time I wondered when I'd have the time to go to grad school. But look, here's that diploma I forgot about!" This was a relief because the rest of the dream I only worried about when I'd have the time to get my PhD. Although, really, I think I'd prefer to be known as Master Kaelin than Doctor Kaelin.

I really really really like school. I was pretty good at it too, and I've always wanted to go back. The problem, of course, is that I'm already doing what I want to do with my life, and it certainly doesn't require grad school. But part of me wants to go back, not just for the daily excuse to learn, but for the regularity and syllabus and the idea that the professor sets goals that you will certainly meet by the end of the semester. It's so nice to have parameters, compared to the flaccidity of self-employed life.

Maybe I'd study linguistics or perhaps something more specific like poetry written by princesses of the 17th century. I think that specificity, however, is exactly what's prevented me from going back to school. Well, that, and lack of money, and a schedule that is anything but consistent. But, really, I just like everything, and the more degrees you get, the more focused you have to be.

This leads me to ponder online universities. Sure, the University of Phoenix is the butt of many a joke, but with the growth of iTunes University and general teaching with the internet, legitimate online universities can't be totally dismissed, can they? I mean, what's the difference between Skyping a lecture (or downloading it from iTunes at your convenience) and physically being in a lecture hall with 500 other students? It would be nice to be able to go to grad school while touring my latest record. There's plenty of down time on the road. If only I could read in the car without throwing up. But I suppose I could just get all my textbooks on audiobook, lie back, and have the materials piped directly into my ears.

Anyway ... who's done those online classes? Why do we not take them seriously? Surely there must be something good out there.

1 comments

  1. I've done about 10+ online classes and I love them. The Masters in Education program that I want to do is all online (University of the Cumberlands, part of Cumberland College) except for student teaching of course.

    Online classes are great but they do require more discipline and self motivation than regular classes but they are a great alternative for people who don't have time to "go to class."

    ReplyDelete