Rental car excitement...


About 10 days ago, someone ran into Friend-with-a-truck's truck, rendering it undrivable. Heretofore he will be known as Friend-without-a-Truck, or perhaps Friend-with-a-Ridiculous-Rental-Car.

I've never been one to care much about cars. I've got an unhealthy obsession with Volvos, perhaps, but really I don't care about colors or ugly wings or engine size. My car is really a rather unattractive, rusted, tiny Volkswagen, but fortunately, I don't have to look at it while I'm driving. And it works, except for all those times it breaks. Luckily, I don't drive often, I guess.

Anyway, yesterday, Friend-without-a-Truck pulled up in this rental car the insurance company provided, and I just started laughing. It's one of those Old-Timey looking cars, sort of like the PT Cruiser, but it's the Chevy version. Don't get me wrong, folks, I actually like those cars. They remind me of flappers and Duke Ellington and Al Capone. They remind me of good music. But this one is comic book red, and I scoured SteinMart this morning looking for a bright yellow trenchcoat so he could complete the Dick Tracy look. I've already got a violin case he can borrow.

Anyway, we're trading it soon. I was actually kind of looking forward to cruising down the highway listening to big band music and evading the police. But there is a mysterious migraine-inducing odor within, as if someone smoked inside, and the rental car place tried to cover it up with weird chemical spray. It's not the kind of car you can spend 16 hours straight in.

Too bad. I have a flapper dress in the same cherry red. It would have been perfect. Whatever color it is, I hope it's big enough to transport my keyboard to tonight's show at the Monkey Wrench. I don't think my little VW is up for the task today...

1 comments

  1. Hi Brigid,

    I have an unhealthy obsession with VWs, so am interested to know what sort of (ugly) tiny vw you drive. I have a 1999.5 Golf which I just bought about 6 weeks ago. I love it! It replaced the 97 Jetta I had.

    vroooom!

    Troy

    ReplyDelete