Leftover magic or mush?

You regular readers know that I've been trying to dine out less frequently, and this is not an easy task. Usually when I start blogging or Facebook-statusing about having nothing to eat in the house, it's because I truly am down to crackers and Vegemite. The last time this happened, I actually cracked open the Vegemite and discovered that it's not horrible, provided you butter then hell out of the crackers. Today, however, I have plenty of food in the fridge, I just don't know what to make out of it.

And so I give you today's invention: an App or website that assesses what is in your refrigerator, then spits out a list of meals/recipes that you can create with it.

Some people are geniuses when it comes to that sort of thing. OysterEvangelist.com often posts recipes that she came up with just based on what she had left in the fridge. Unfortunately, our leftovers rarely have much in common.

Seeing as I've used up the grocery budget for the month, and I'm being very strict/good about not going over-budget, I might just have to start getting creative.

What can I make with: shredded soy "cheese," a loaf of wheat bread (homemade, I am proud to admit!), a cup of potato soup, a few eggs, a tortilla, some wilted broccoli, a tablespoon of quinoa salad, a half of cup of pasta sauce, and some cabbage of questionable age?

3 comments

  1. Do you want to put all those things together? I'm not sure I can help you with that. But you could make a sort of frittata/casserole by toasting some bread cubes and then tossing them with (steamed and cooled) broccoli, pour a couple of beaten eggs and the soy cheese over them and then baking it until it's firm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, you are a magician! Seriously. You should offer a pay-per-text service where people text you what's in their fridge and you respond with your genius idea and then i give you a dollar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait... I won't give you a dollar for a random person's text ... just when i use the service:)

    Anyhow, I owe you a dollar.
    Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete