Monday, October 12, 2009

How I started performing publicly in the first place.

I've played piano since I was wee, picked up the guitar at eight, and the accordion at fifteen. I did a bunch of theater, and I was in chorus. But I didn't play my first solo gig until I was about 23. That's pretty old for the singer-songwriter thing. Most folks I know were goin to open mics in high school, and plenty even had gigs. I remember going to see my good friend John Whitaker play at coffeeshops, along with a hundred other screaming girls.

Anyway, it wasn't until I was dared by one of the bartenders at Air Devils Inn that I had my first legitimate gig. He knew I played, and he just booked me on a Sunday night. I sang almost entirely covers, and I played only the guitar. When I sang an original, I didn't tell the crowd I'd written it. (It took me about a year to 'fess up to my originals. Silly, right?) But it was really fun, and the stage is a very comfortable place to hang out for a few hours. Then I got paid, and a light bulb went off. I started a weekly Sunday night gig immediately.

A few months ago, a video production team came through town and asked me to stop by their mobile studio. They plopped me on a stool and asked me to talk about that moment when I realized I could actually be a musician. It seemed like a harmless task, so I obliged.

Now, several months later, I am told they chose my "Aha Moment" a a finalist out of the thousands they collected around the country. You can watch it here: www.ahamoment.com/vote/brigid and you could vote for it. Voting for it isn't really a big deal, but if I'm in the Top 25 vote-getters by October 15, then I win a cool new Flip Cam, which I promise to use for exciting video blogs. There are some other pretty cool videos there too, and you can vote for more than one. Three total are from Louisville. I thought that was pretty cool.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, we's always believed in you! Just keep yo chin up and keep banging out them songs.

    ReplyDelete

Kindergarten and Cargo Bikes!

My wee boy started KINDERGARTEN this week! It's great to have him back on a schedule because he loves routine and structure and rules an...