Toast: a for cure existential angst.

This spring I was so good at getting up early and writing everyday. Now it seems all I do is get up early and deal with horrible grown-up stuff. There are more things going wrong with the house than I ever thought possible, and I'm ready to liquidate and move to Argentina. It seems like I haven't been able to work on music in ages, and I'm still not caught up with grown-up stuff. Ugh. I'm not in the cheeriest of moods, forgive me.

But do you know what does cheer me up? Toast!

It's so simple, but so delicious. When Peter and I were on tour in the UK last fall, we stayed with some wonderful musicians in Manchester. They are vegans and they cook at home all the time. Staying with them reminded me how often my friends here in Lousiville tend to go out to eat. But Kirsty and Mat from Manchester went to the market daily, got fresh produce, and even baked their own bread.

One evening after a good meal and a late night of playing music, Mat got incredibly excited and inspired by an idea he had. He was going to have toast! And wouldn't we like some too? I was honestly a bit disappointed because his eagerness made me think perhaps he had been hiding a puppy all evening and was about to produce it. But he was excited, and so I agreed to have toast too.

But then ... he took some freshly baked bread ... and sliced it ... and put it in the toaster ... and put delicious English butter on it .... and it was amazing.

So I'm making bread right now because it's cheaper than buying bread. And I'm on a buying moratorium. And I cannot WAIT to have toast! It had better cheer me up.

1 comments

  1. You know what goes really well on toast? VEGEMITE!!! But then, that might not cheer you up.

    ReplyDelete