Musicians, propeller planes, and queso.

I spent the weekend in Lubbock, Texas, and took a vacation from pretty much everything. I'm back in blogger mode now, and I hope you'll forgive my long absence. For today's blog, I offer you some blatent name-dropping, a ridiculous story, and a funny picture.

I left Lubbock yesterday in a little propeller plane, which was scary. As I looked out the window to my view of a spinning propeller, I thought, "Buddy Holly once flew in a propeller plane, and now all they've got is a statue of him." Admittedly, it's a pretty cool statue though, and it's surrounded by plaques of all the great musicians to come out of West Texas. There are many of them. Joe Ely, Waylon Jennings, Roy Orbison, and Tanya Tucker. Which leads me to today's anecdote.

About three years ago, a drummer friend of mine called and asked me to come hang out at this charming restaurant in Louisville called Ramsi's. It was around midnight, but he was hanging there with a few of his friends in from out of town, whom he thought I'd like to meet. I'm always up for a late-night Ramsi's snack, so I skipped on down there. When I arrived, I saw my friend sitting in the library-themed room at a round table with four other people, one of whom had on a magnificent leopard-print jacket and matching accessories. She had perfect nails, was immaculately groomed, and looked incredibly familiar. Then we introduced. "Brigid, this is Tanya. Tanya, Brigid. You're both singers." Several cocktails later, we were singing an a cappella duet of "Son of Preacher Man" and gorging ourselves on Ramsi's awesome chips-n-queso.

See, I told you it was a name-dropping ridiculous story. But here ... according to the photo, she thinks I'm #1. It could have been the Maker's talking though. (If the photos don't show up through the Facebook auto-import, go to http://brigidkaelin.blogspot.com)


0 comments