Jonesin' for more Love Jones, already....

I never saw Love Jones back when they actually lived in Louisville. By the time I was old enough, I lived in New York, and the guys in Love Jones had already moved out to LA, gotten big record deals and were in the movies and stuff. When I heard their songs in "Swingers," I never even knew they were from Louisville. I just liked their fun, funky, tunes.

But when Peter and I went out to LA a couple of years ago to do some recording for some Sony Connect project he was working on, we stayed with his friend Ben. Ben used to be in a band with Peter, and is now one of the lead singers/writers for Love Jones. And thus began my immediate appreciate for his band. On that lone LA trip, we giggled together, played some music at Phil's house, and they even managed to produce an accordion out of the attic for me. (There's always an accordion in the attic.)

They played the Monkey Wrench last night. It was a fun crowd and a sold-out show. I couldn't find a place to sit, so I just stood right up front, danced, and sang along.

Not only are the guys in LJ fantastic instrumentalists (full disclosure: the Love Jones drummer also happens to be MY drummer, so maybe i'm a bit biased) and great songwriters, but they are amazing entertainers. It's part Vegas-nightclub, part New York Supper Club, and part Latin dance club. I'm sure there are loads of other "parts" thrown in their too, but that's the best I can do for now.

Going to one of their shows is way more fun than seeing stand-up comedy because they don't pick on the audience. Okay, so sometimes they might jump out and play a cowbell in your ear or chase you to the bathroom with a tambourine, but it's all in good fun. Plus, you can't help but dance.

I'm still riding high from last night's intimate show. I'm sad that half of them went back to LA this morning. You LA-folks need to go hear them sometime. I'm already going through severe Love Jones withdrawal. I can only go hear so many sensitive singer-songwriters before I need a good Love Jones fix, you know?

0 comments