Tombstone and promises made by men.

I'm an adventurous gal, but people are oft-surprised by the things I've never done before. Most notably, my dude-friends are always shocked that 1) I've never been camping and 2) I've never seen Tombstone. (minor spoiler alert)

I don't really get why the latter is such a shocker because there are loads of pop culture references I don't get.

Anyway, I can count at least five guys who have promised to both take me camping and make me watch Tombstone, but none of them has ever followed through. Until recently.

Friend-with-a-Truck decided that I needed to come over and watch Tombstone a couple of days ago. I obliged.

First of all, let me tell you that I always thought Tombstone was a really old movie. I knew it was about Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday. (Tangent: I love the name Wyatt. My friend from college had a baby right after we graduated, and she named him Jack Wyatt. I thought that was the most perfect name ... the name for a child who could be anything when he grew up ... a cowboy, a mystery writer, a politician, a rock star, a farmer... just perfect.) But I thought the movie was black and white or at least really early technicolor.

I had no idea that Val Kilmer was in it. And Jason Priestley.

It's from 1993. And yes, the two seductresses of the film are both redheads, though both with poor dye-jobs. The redheaded vixen, with her zest and passion for life, tempts Wyatt to leave his oh-so-sweet-she's-got-an-opium-addiction blonde of a wife. And Doc's redheaded lady is a money-grubbing bad girl.

Anyway, I liked the movie very much. I love a good gangster flick, whether it's cowboys or the mafia. As much as I hate guns, I adore a gunfight in a movie. Reservoir Dogs is one of my absolute favorite movies ever.

I also surprisingly liked the whole temptress subplot. I laughed when it was happening because it was so predictable and silly. But then I liked that the redheaded vixen wasn't really pursuing him; he just couldn't help but be attracted to her charms and personality. The redheaded vixen kept a distance for the most part, but Wyatt pursues her despite her refusing to make the first move.

A familiar plot ...

Then when the credits rolled, I noticed a solitary name on the screen ... after the Director and Writer ... came another name: Catherine Hardwicke.

And I giggled wildy because Catherine Hardwicke is the director of Twilight.

I think Tombstone and Twilight are oddly similar.

Friend-with-a-Truck didn't like that very much.

Now we'll see if he'll take me camping. Maybe camping will turn out to be surprisingly like Paris. That would be cool.

0 comments