Chanukah and Muck

Chanukah and Muck
Current mood: mischievous
A few nights ago, I casually asked my mom when Chanukah starts this year. As a child, I always remember it overlapping with Christmas. And before you ask, yes, I was that kid who got both Chanukah AND Christmas, thanks to my parents' brilliant inter-religious marriage. I should add a disclaimer though, that no, i never got the standard 8-presents-in-8-nights. Usually I got a book or sweater on the first night, then a record or a sweater for Christmas. I wasn't spoiled, and i wasn't deprived. (My mom reads this blog, so i feel i always have to clarify.)

Anyway, the point is, I thought I had plenty of time to record and release a quick little single in time for Chanukah, when my mom responded, "It's December 4."

December 4th???!?! That's, like, next week practically. Whose idea was that? There's not even a slight overlap. Not even time to wait for the after-Christmas sales, and still have time-appropriate Chanukah gifts for your grandparents.

Apparently, Chanukah begins on the 25th day of the month of Kislev, which shifts depending on year, the sun, the moon, and various algorithms. You c an try to make sense out of why they add an extra month about once every two or three years, by reading the wiki here. Good luck with that.

This doesn't mean that I'm rushing out to do any shopping. I tend to buy gifts throughout the year for people and bequeath them immediately. So i don't really feel the need to buy a lot of stuff at Christmas (or Chanukah -- see how confused the mixed marriage made me?).

No, my mad rush isn't to the mall; it's to Peter Searcy's studio to quickly record my Chanukah single.

I'm typing this from Heine Brothers, where "O Holy Night" is playing. While i concur that the song is beautiful, i get a little tired of all the Jesus talk.

So stay tuned for two new Chanukah country tunes. Tell your friends who feel a little left out this time a year to look for a special limited-edition release.

December 4 .. at sundown, of course.

*******

And as a sidenote ... i played some accordion and piano on a couple of tunes for The Muckrakers
on Tuesday evening. They are releasing a series of tunes, available on their website. Check them out, if you haven't already. They have, like 40thousand friends, so you're probably already onto them. But if you're not ... I recommend! I'm playing a show with them at Gerstle's on December 7. Which is the 4th night of Chanukah, for those of you paying attention.

0 comments