My dad's famous Mac N Cheese Recipe.


David, digging into the MAC N CHEESE!
Hope everyone had a merry Thanksgiving! For my readers abroad, Thanksgiving is just a random Thursday where Americans cook too much food, try to manage their time attending 2-8 family functions (depending on how many grandparents are still alive), and eat a lot of comfort food. My family never had the beautiful tablescapes that I see on Pinterest, but I've now seen plenty of people who do. 

Thanksgiving was pretty difficult this year, particularly because, while Graham located my dad's special mac-n-cheese recipe on his left-behind iPad, the mac-n-cheese I cooked did not deliver. I assumed his secret ingredient was extra butter, but I think it's extra-sharp cheddar and extra salt. In the mean time, I'm waaaaaaay too cheesy-noodled out to even think about a do-over, so I'll wait until next Thanksgiving.

I had some pretty overwhelming moments of grief, some heaving sobs, and some sweet hugs and kisses from my little guys who have seen too much.

Thought I'd share my dad's mac-n-cheese recipe today, since SO many of you have asked for it:

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 tsp salt (pretty sure he used a lot more than this)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar (i think he included extra-sharp!)
2 cups (7 oz) elbow macaroni, cooked, drained 
Make a sauce with butter, flour, milk, salt. Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheese until melted. Layer the cheese sauce with the cooked macaroni in a 1-1/2 quart casserole. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serves 6-8, or one Brigid.



Pretty pretty tablescaping by 7-year-old Eleanor.

- Graham's movie comes out in theatres across America on Friday December 6! 
- I'm working on sorting out management and coastal representation for Graham while trying to manage my own art (apparently, if i don't make art, i become a crazy person!!!). Graham is begging to audition and work more.
- I love you. If you're reading this, I probably really do love you.
Enjoy my blog? Here’s how you can show your love:
www.patreon.com/brigidkaelin
(i've been putting backstage photos with Elvis, Damaris, and more on that site)

2 comments

  1. I will be making this soon!  Love new Mac and Cheese recipes, particularly from friends.  :)  I hope the comfort food was, well, comforting... I know grief can be hard around the holidays.  We're thinking of you!  And if you ever need to come to LA for Graham's acting career we've got a guest bedroom.  :)  Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete